Thursday, December 12, 2013

Lights, the Swedish Christmas tradition

You know you are in Europe when the Christmas tree is set up next to a statue (Gustavus Adolphus)
December is here.  And its been busy.  When I should be studying, I am often running around enjoying the Christmas season.  While I may have had very high expectations of Christmas in Europe, I am learning to like the simplicity I see instead.   The Christmas market turned out to be a small craft fair, the window displays are oh-so-Scandinavian-design-sparse, and the Julbord (Christmas table) is full of foods I don't like (pickled herring, cold salmon with dill, etc).  But it's the lights on the trees, the stars in the windows, the enthusiastic "God Jul"'s, and the parties that are bringing the Christmas magic to my days and nights in Sweden this December.

Notice the presents hanging from the tree above!
I don't know this tradition but it makes for a fun tree.
Light is an important component of the Christmas season for Swedes.  All around town trees are strung with lights, the city streets have hanging lights and the windows of people's homes have either a giant star light or a candelabra, or sometimes both.  Light brings warmth, comfort and coziness to these dark days.





The temperatures have begun to fall (we even hit the Celsius 0, once) and I no longer leave the house without a hat on.  Every child I pass on the street is decked out in a full snow suit.  I thought they were for snow but, apparently, they are also used simply for warmth.

I find myself making hot hearty meals to keep my body warm.  Swedes make their Lussekatter (saffron buns), eat pickled herring and drink glögg (mulled wine).

Keeping warm by the fire.
See the little girl in the back with her snowpants on?
And it's only December 12th.  If the beginning of my month is any predictor of what is to come, it's going to be a wonderful Christmas season.

God Jul! (Merry Christmas)

No comments: