Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas in Norway

Oslo, Norway
A few months ago, a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to Norway over our Christmas break.  Someone had found a groupon and a few people were going to take a cruise from Copenhagen to Oslo and back.  The price wasn't one to be passed up ($40 for 3 days including our train tickets to and from Copenhagen!) and in a momentary slip of sanity, I signed up.  You see, I have sworn off boats.  I swore I would never take a boat again after my trip to the Ssese Islands in Uganda, then after island hopping in the Galapagos, and firmly after floating down the Amazon.  I get very sea sick and hate myself when on a boat.  But, somehow, I keep putting myself through the misery and get back on a boat.  This time, in a wish to not be alone for Christmas and a desire to see Norway, I went against my better judgement and took a cruise from Copenhagen to Oslo.



But before I go too much into the boat ride, let's back up to setting the scene more.  When we first began to put this trip together there were 5 of us going.  We were a smattering of international students (USA, Thailand, Taiwan, and Kenya) who come from places too far to go home to over our short break and my Norwegian friend who couldn't find a cheaper deal home.  As the trip got close my Thai friend said a couple of her friends had also signed up and would be going too.  A couple.  This usually implies 2, or so I thought.  Then, the day of, we were in the train station waiting to go to Copenhagen when my friend from Taiwan kept looking expectantly down the track way and said, "oh, here are my friends," as 4 Fijians joined us.  This friend had never even mentioned her friends were coming!  Now, our group was 9 and I was expecting 2 Thai to join us soon.  Would you believe that by the time we boarded the boat we were a group of 20?! Yes, friends just kept coming.  My Norwegian friend had planned on showing us around when we got to Oslo and we started joking that she was going to need to buy a flag stick to lead our tour group now.

I like plans, structure and order.  I don't like surprises.  As I have gotten older and traveled, I have learned to adjust when my plans change but it is still a challenge for me initially.  In my head, I know, sometimes, those changes are the best thing to happen.  But my heart still races with anxiety and disappointment when things are not going the way I expected.  But, as usually happens after I calm down, I came to love every person on this trip and can't imagine the terrible boat ride and exploration of Norway's capital without any of them.

As we boarded the boat we were told of free sea sickness medicine at the front desk and I took note of the vomit bags conveniently hanging from all the stairwells.  Things were not looking good.  The first few hours were ok.  We had brought food and all sat together eating and getting to know each other.  But as the boat moved from the sheltered Øresund area toward the North Sea, the waves began to rock the boat and my stomach with it. Pretty soon, we were all sick and ran to take refugee in our beds.  It was an excruciatingly long night where I often felt like I was going to be pitched out of my bed with the violent waves.  At moments I envisioned Titanic and knew with certainty I was going down in my little cabin with my snoring Taiwanese friend.  My prayer life dramatically increased and, with God's mercy, we made it to Oslo.  The next morning when someone mentioned we should take the bus back home I was more than willing to skip the boat back and take that option.

It was 10 am when we got off the boat and the sun was just rising.  Norway is darker, colder and more expensive.  But I loved it!  The Norwegian capital is full of charm.  It is much more beautiful than my little Swedish town (sorry Malmö) with forests, hills and simple with a mix of classic and modern architecture.
Oslo Opera House - it's public art so you can walk all over it (on the roof)
Me and my Thai friends in front of the Opera House
Opera House
The harbor with the fortress in the distance
Oslo, from the fortress
The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded in Oslo every year
Royal Palace - flag is up so family is home for Christmas
Parliament
God Jul from the streets of Oslo!
Accordion player in Sculpture Park - love the woman dancing with her hair:)
It was a whirlwind trip to Oslo but definitely worth it.  I loved Norway and am already planning another trip to the charming country.  I made new friends from around the world who made my Christmas so special.  If anyone needs connections in Taiwan, Thailand, Fiji, Kenya, or Norway, just ask me.

We all did get back on the boat and had even more of a tumultuous ride back to Copenhagen.  We made it.  It took a few days to recover our balance yet the memories of Oslo let the boat feel like just a little nuisance.

But for the record, I am never taking a boat ride again.

No comments: