Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas in Sweden: Christmas Eve


Scandinavians traditionally celebrate Christmas on December 24th.  Swedes usually eat a Christmas buffet for lunch with sausages, meatballs, potatoes, herring, and salmon.  At 3 pm the whole country turned on the TV and watched "Kalle Anka", Donald Duck.  After Donald Duck is over, Santa comes and brings presents. Then to end the night, they eat rice pudding with an almond in it and the one who gets the almond will get married that year.  Now, there are several problems I see with these traditions.  First of all, Donald Duck has nothing to do with Sweden.  Where on earth did this come from?  Secondly, how would Santa be able to get to every house at exactly the same time when Donald Duck ends?  And thirdly, Swedes don't get married, they cohabitate, so who would ever want to get the almond?

Knowing I would never fully understand Swedish traditions, I decided to host my own international Christmas dinner on the 24th for all those in my program who didn't go home for Christmas.  I got back from Oslo that afternoon and an hour later was busy cooking with friends.  Since I had made new friends on my trip I also invited them to join us.  But in true international fashion, half the guests came over an hour and half after they were told to show up.  So, we started without them and they ate what was left over.


I taught them how to make blueberry and apple pie

It was a wonderful Christmas dinner with great conversations and games after.  We taught each other about our respective countries: Fiji still practiced cannabalism through the 19th century, Mugabe doesn't like the tribe in the South of Zimbabwe, and I taught everyone about my mom's favorite Native American, Chief Joseph.

If I couldn't be tucked in safe with my family in Minnesota, there isn't another place on earth I would have rather spent this Christmas Eve but with these dear friends in Sweden.  I am so thankful for the people I am meeting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That blueberry pie looks a little toasted.