Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas in Sweden: Christmas Day

Christmas day was also a near perfect experience.  I made brunch for a few neighbors and we lounged around enjoying one another's company.

Pancakes and mimosas!

Also, from my recent travels to Norway, I was invited to a Thai Christmas dinner.  As someone who loves Thai food, I could not pass this up.  My Thai friends did not disappoint.  They made delicious food, were gracious hosts and provided some good entertainment.

The theme was red. And I'm being "Asian" giving the peace sign.

And then the night got even more wholesome.  Ting, got out his guitar and suggested we sing.  As we gathered on the couches he looked over and said, "Amanda will lead us in some singing." Me?! I don't sing!  But soon enough I got over my hesitation and lead my Thai friends in roaring renditions of songs originally sung by the Backstreet Boys, Carly Rae Jepson, and The Cranberries.  We sang for 2 hours! At times I felt like I had to be in a movie.  It was the most different Christmas I have had since laying on a beach in the Indian Ocean.  And I loved every second of it.

Time to sing
At one point I am belting out, "And then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on..." and doing an interpretive dance to accompany it.  If you search hard enough you may find a youtube video of this embarrassment as I had, at least, 8 cameras poised on me.

Mariah Carey has nothing on us!

If I haven't sold you on the magic of Christmas in Scandinavia here's an article that lists both Malmö and a town in Norway as some of the best places in the world to spend Christmas: http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2013/11/10-best-christmas-holidays.html And I also, strongly, recommend any mix of international people at your holiday.  They are thrilling.

No comments: