Friday, December 13, 2013

Julfest(s)

December brings many Julfests (Christmas parties). These can be giant affairs with many many people, or small gatherings with close friends.  They include a julbord (Christmas table), glögg, low-lighting and music.

I have already been to several julfests.  They have looked very different but the julbord has been the same.  Leave it to the Swedes to follow convention when it comes to their foods.  I love the candle and Christmas lights that make a room so cozy and intimate.  During these dark, and a little bit cold days/nights, the lights bring warmth to the soul and lighten everyones spirits.  I've never been the biggest fan of Christmas music (think its hokey) but this year, after going to julfests, I've been finding the voices of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Michael Bublé and others telling me to rock around the Christmas tree and how wonderful winter wonderlands are playing loudly throughout my apartment.  I am embracing all things Christmas.

They showed It's a Wonderful Life on the screen without sound as we ate under the white Christmas lights.
Swedish meatballs, a scalloped potato dish, Swedish bread, and salad.  I passed on the pickled herring and cold salmon covered in dill.
All dressed up and enjoying Christmas in Sweden. These two friends have never seen snow and are hoping it'll come soon.
Ikea also hosts a Julbord (Christmas table).  The place was PACKED.  It was really fun to go with some people from my program after class and eat a Christmas dinner together.  Being with people and learning new traditions at the most iconic of Swedish places?! How could anyone pass that up?

Even Ikea puts the stars in their windows

So much salmon, and Swedish meatballs
Even the patient library at school threw a Julfest.  It felt so good to take a break from my group work and go to the library to drink glögg and eat pepparkakor (gingersnaps).


And today is Lucia Day.  It used to be believed that the 13th of December was the shortest day of the year.  Lucia brought the light.  I'll write more about this after I experience it.  Until then, here's a dummies guide:


The last time I lived abroad over Christmas never felt like Christmas.  It was the dry and hot season in Uganda so I was constantly sweating and had a deep tan.  I was on the equator so the sun rose and set in 12 hour intervals.  And there wasn't a Christmas culture.  This time, living abroad where Christmas culture really took off, I am enchanted and soaking up the lights (I'm slightly obsessed with the lights), enjoying the glögg and having a blast at all the julfests, big or small.

Happy St. Lucia Day!

No comments: