Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Library

Malmö public library

I have an affinity for public libraries.  I love the old or interestingly architected building they are usually housed in.  The smell of books, eye contact with other book lovers and public notice boards advertising poetry readings, yoga classes and children's art therapy sessions make me smile.  The structured shelves with clear systems in place bring a peace and familiarity to my life as I easily navigate any library in the world.

I went to the Malmö public library, or Stadsbibliotek as it is called here, very near the beginning of my time in Sweden.  As I walked into this castle-looking building I applied for a library card at the front desk.  The woman who helped me may be the only Swede who doesn't speak English.  We discovered the most common language we had was Spanish.  Nombre?  Amanda. Número de telefono? 076... When I asked her where the books in English were (¿dónde están los libros en Inglés?) she pointed in one direction and I took off to find something to use my new library card on.  After scouring the 4 eastern floors I went back to the front desk asking where the books in English where.  This time, a man listened to my question in English and pointed west to the steps next to the desk.  It turns out, the first woman and myself may not have really understood Spanish that well.

I took some time perusing the few, and I do mean few, shelves with books in English.  I think I may be able to go through all the books in English during my 2 years here.  I also took time to sit and look out at Kungsparken, or the Kings Park, and watch all the people enjoying the sunshine.  I decided this was going to be a great library for me and I would be back often.

I went to the library today to return some books, check out new ones, and to do some studying.  I like the change in scenery and opportunity to stretch my legs before getting lost in a case study on tobacco use prevention in South Africa.  However, what I hadn't noticed the last few times I was at the library, is that it is actually really loud.  People speak in normal voice levels and there are no designated quiet areas.  I looked around expecting the noise to be coming from children during the middle of the day on a weekday but found the library buzzing with a wide range of ages.  Women wearing hijab's chatted in an aisle, white haired men used wide hand gestures to explain something in the foyer, women pushing prams talking loudly, students around a table debated something - the public library in Malmö is a gathering place for the community.  I love that.  Even if it makes studying difficult.

So, this time, I picked new books to read and headed out to Kungsparken to do my reading in quiet.  I have to soak up the sun while it is still out.  Don't worry, I still love the library.  I'll be back.  Just, maybe not to study.


My library card and receipt 


Kungsparken

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At least you can read the due dates on the receipt. How's your Swedish coming along?

Phill said...

That library looks fantastic! It sounds like you're finding time to do other things besides study, too. Hooray! p.s. i typed this whole message with one hand while feeding Pax with the other :)

Unknown said...

Our local library is really loud too. That's where our similarities cease. You definitely win for the amazing ambiance and phenomenal scenery that makes it totally worth it just to be in/around the library. MN definitely has a few lessons to learn from Sweden regarding Library looks.