Sunday, September 22, 2013

I threw a party


Today is the first day of autumn.  Last week it really started to feel like it too.  The air became more crisp, the wind has picked up and the sun is disappearing for longer stretches.  While the temperature hovers in the mid to low-60's, it is still pleasant to be out and about.  The Swedes assure me that though they complain about the long cold and dark winters, they still get excited about the beginning change in each season so I shouldn't worry about winter yet, just embrace the fall first.  

So, I threw a party.  Partly to celebrate the coming of fall, partly to work on my social life and partly to soak up these remaining warmish evenings.  I carved out a pumpkin from the market and used the inside to make pumpkin bars.  For a country obsessed with cake, no one had every tried pumpkin cake. I used the shell of the pumpkin as a vase to hold flowers and put it as the center piece.  I asked people to make their own pizza to share.  Most made very interesting home-made pizzas but a few brought frozen pizzas or bought one from a pizza joint.

We stayed late into the night talking over candle light.  I had invited everyone from my program along with my neighbors in my building.  It was nice to talk to people outside of our normal contexts.  Naturally, the weather came up as a topic of conversation and everyone spoke of pumpkins, apple picking, leaves changing colors and sweaters.  There was general apprehension (fall will go all too fast into winter) but also excitement for something new.  So, maybe, I am beginning to feel ready to embrace the fall.  Happy 1st day of Autumn/Fall!



2 comments:

Phill said...

Huzzah! A fall party! Looks fun Amanda. It's a little too bad you arrived in Sweden during the summer. Now that you're getting established and more comfortable, you have winter dead ahead. Perhaps that worked out better for you though so that you weren't scrambling in the cold.

You are working on your social skills? Dang, I'd say they are up to and past par. Inviting the neighbors takes more guts than you give credit.

Unknown said...

I wish I could have come!