Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Oh the shame

My professor is very hard on the American health system.  This makes me laugh a bit at his obvious passion on the subject.  However, to my sympathetic Swedish classmates, this blatant disrespect for my home country's health system is upsetting.  Several of my Swedish classmates have intentionally come up to me to see how I feel about our professors comments.  They are afraid I will be offended.  I find their care for me very sweet and I appreciate it.  As for my professor's derision, I agree with him!

While I do agree with my professor's critique, sometimes it's a bit embarrassing to be the representative from the worst health system in the world.  When your text book reads, "The United States is the only high-income country that has a healthcare system that is not founded on the principle that everyone has the right to health care," (Skolnik) and you discuss the fact that the US spends almost 18% of its GDP on health making it the highest percentage with some of the most unhealthy citizens, it's hard to be proud of your home country.  It almost makes me want to renounce my citizenship.

A large part of why I decided to study in Sweden was because I wanted to learn in a system that addresses and views health in a very different way than the system I grew up in.  Now that I am here, I'm finding some lessons are harder to be part of than others.  But I'm surrounded by good people who care about my feelings too making it a bit easier.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is embarrassing. I remember that feeling too in the UK. What irked me the most, however, was that British citizens complained so much about NHS and how bureaucratic it was, how long they had to wait for non-emergency doctor appointments, etc. If only they could compare their system to ours. It's FREE, and it's a right. I was reminded of this Jim Wallis article I read a few years ago: http://sojo.net/sojomail/2007/08/16

Phill said...

Interesting but irksome thoughts, Amanda.

I would disagree with the textbook; Healthcare already is a right for everyone in the U.S.

Is it fair? No. Does it cost money? Yes. But it is still a right. I don't think many "rights" are really free, either.

Freedom is a right--yet it has cost and will continue to cost many people's lives.

So, based on your thoughts, it seems like you believe that because something costs monetarily, it is not a right.

Should rights cost money? No. But some do. I believe paying my taxes every year contributes to keeping my rights, in a more abstract way of thinking.

You can't help where you grew up and came from. I don't think you should feel shameful.

"The worst health system in the world." Do you really believe that? It's a bold statement. I don't disregard your knowledge and expertise in your field, but I do begin to doubt you when you say bold statements like this. They are very passionate statements, but also seem naive and dogmatic. The U.S. is constantly making new discoveries in the medical field: AIDS treatment and prevention, cancer, surgeries, technologies, etc. Do these not benefit the entire world? Although it is a different branch from the healthcare system you are talking about, it is still a part of it. Perhaps we are able to make these discoveries because we have a good healthcare system, one that has money to put towards breakthrough research.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch" comes to mind. Free healthcare for all is not free. The ramifications of free healthcare attest to this.