Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Stockholm

Living in Southern Sweden, I hear a lot of derision for Stockholm. People complain that Stockholm's culture is too fast and unkind, the weather is colder and the winters are darkest. When I received the opportunity to go to Stockholm with my class to visit the European CDC and the Swedish Public Health Institute, I was interested in seeing the fabled capital city of unpleasantness. Partly to prove my solidarity with my fellow Southern Swedes I was prepared to not like Stockholm. But Stockholm's beauty overwhelmed me and I have become a converted Stockholm appreciator.

I will admit that when I got off the train at the central station and saw the throngs of people practically running in every direction I felt like a country bumpkin fearing the rush. But I quickly got my city legs back and fell into step with the stylish clad folk moving quickly from one important moment of business to the next.

And in between I learned about disease reports and public health measures in Sweden along with the history and beauty of Stockholm.

The ECDC has a much prettier building than the CDC.
After a full day of meetings and learning, my friend Kripitch (he lives in Stockholm) took me and a couple friends around to see the sights by night. Even then it was beautiful.



Then the weekend was spent being a tourist and soaking as much of Stockholm up as possible.


 The Vasa ship was designed poorly and when it set sail from Stockholm only made it 100 meters before sinking. It was buried at the bottom of the harbor for over 300 years. It has now been preserved and made into a museum. Many of the original sails, wood carvings and sculptures were semi-intact and on display. It's amazing how freezing cold water can preserve things for so long.


I didn't make it into the Nordic Museum but I sure thought it had a beautiful outside:



Gamla Stan is the old part of the city where the palace is, cobbled streets and street lights lite with candles. Today, it is full of restaurants and is a great place to people watch. The brightly colored buildings date back to the 1600's.


Fika break
Stockholm is an archipelago and consists of about 14 islands. You are never far from the water.
Ferry's are common modes of transportation and included in your train/bus ticket


Stockholm is full of charming architecture and has an endearing European feel to it.







I saw my very first Dala Horse in Sweden. I think this is another one of those American made Swedish landmarks. The average Swede doesn't seem to have any affiliation or interest in the Dala horse but the tourists eat it up in gift shops in Stockholm.

I went out to the west of Stockholm to visit Drottningholm Palace which is the current residence of the king and queen. It was nice, but I personally like the Danish palaces better.


And because I was with Thai friends, of course I got roped into a karaoke night where we just so happened to run into the Thai ambassador to Sweden. Sometimes, even I am forced to shake my head at the interesting situations I find myself in.

Yes, the words were in Thai
It was a great trip. The train ride was 6 hours. When I originally booked my ticket I noted the 6 hours but didn't think about how long that really is. Then, on the way, I realized I could almost get to New York on a plane in those hours. 6 hours is a long time! But, with a good cup of coffee, landscape that resembles Minnesota, and a sleepy companion, I made it back. Happy to have visited Stockholm. And very happy to be home in my little city where people slowly ride their bikes and rarely carry designer purses.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow- it looks like a beautiful city. I want to add this to our itinerary. Is that crazy? Too far? Hmm. I like all the pictures, including your cup of coffee :)