Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My (first) visitor


When I left for Sweden I was accompanied by many promises of friends who would come to visit. As I have lived in many places, it's always interesting to see who actually follows through with their promise to visit. My mom and dad were first, though the effort needed was minimal since they were already in Europe. I loved having them come and see my life.

A few months ago I received an email from my friend Trista who has been a part of my family for forever. She was tired of winter in Minnesota and wanted to take an epic European trip. I was thrilled she wanted to visit me on her big adventure. Trista came last week and, when not in class, I showed her the history, culture and charms of Southern Sweden and Western Denmark.

DENMARK
Right off the plane I made Trista climb the spire in the background...
...it was worth it for the views of Copenhagen
I did let her get coffee before we made the climb
She loved the colorful houses and canals throughout the city
We stumbled upon a reenactment of some battle
The kids won. And I never want to hear about how violent America is from a Dane again.

I took her to see castles and learn about Danish history (Fredericksborg Castle) 

Fredericksborg was Trista's first castle visit ever! 
Since the tour was in Danish we had to settle for the headphones in English
She had fun being silly
Beautiful castle!

The sun came out as we were leaving making the castle look so  beautiful
Then I took her to Kronborg on the coast where the fog was thick and air cold
But despite the fog and cold, Kronborg was Trista's favorite castle!
The fog always adds to the eeriness that makes me believe Hamlet could have really lived here
MALMÖ
I showed Trista my dear little post-industrial city by bike

We rode by Malmö Castle but after the Danish castles, she was less than impressed
Showed her our peaceful canal with swans and the setting sun at 8 pm
Took her for ice-cream on the free day in Folkets Park
And I Introduced Trista to the Scandinavian sauna experience. She LOVED it! Trista jumped into the Baltic Sea 4 times!
This may have been her favorite experience in Scandinavia.
I had a really wonderful time showing Trista both tourist places and my everyday life. It's always nice to share life with people you have a history with. And now I'm in the mood to keep sharing. I can't wait for my next visitors!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want the Sauna experience! Do I need to bring my swimsuit?

Jen Schneider said...

Fun! Looks like you had a great visit :)