Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cemetery walks and spring

Trees are beginning to bud, fruit stands are in every square and tables and chairs are appearing outside every cafe once again - it's SPRING!
Back in the fall a new friend asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I  accepted and then was surprised when she wanted to walk in the cemetery. It seemed a bit morbid. I imagined a very solemn and quiet walk.  But the cemeteries are buzzing with life. Cemeteries are treated like parks here. People take walks through them, they have benches to sit and relax on and on really warm days people lay out on blankets sun bathing and having picnics. 

Spring has come to Malmö. The sun has switched from that dull sun to a bright one that warms your skin. The skies are cloudless and pure blue. Flowers are popping up from the ground and everyone, and I do mean everyone, has taken to being outside at every available moment. At lunch at school today, students went outside and just sat on the concrete in front of the building.


So, with the sun shining and a brief break in my schedule today, I decided to take a walk - through the cemetery of course. It was refreshing and I felt so happy to be alive in Sweden walking in the sun.


No comments: