Friday, March 7, 2014

Numbers

It's funny the little things you have to get used to/learn when you live in a different country. Numbers are one of those things I wish the whole world would just standardize to make it clear, easy and understandable for everyone.

My challenges:
The period vs. comma: Many European countries use the comma to designate the decimal. This drives me crazy. I get so confused when the number on my test reads 984,776. After I've done my calculations and am already higher strung due to it being a big exam, I am now at risk of getting the answer wrong because I don't remember if it's nine hundred eighty four thousand, seven hundred and seventy six or nine hundred eighty four hundred and seven hundred seventy six thousandths!

Dates: Even though I've been here for 7 months, dates still trip me up. Sweden lists Year-Month-Day. This is mostly fine when it's later on in the month. But when my yogurt expiration date says 03-02 does that mean March 2nd or February 3rd?

Metric vs. Standard: Come on America (and Liberia and Myanmar)! We are the only ones holding on to a system that doesn't make sense. Let's join the world and base ten.

And that's what's been on my mind this week. Numbers. Clearly I'm not in English Lit anymore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Metric just makes sense. No more Standard!