Monday, November 11, 2013

The other part

My mom thinks my life is nothing but exploration, fika and other social activities.  She has gleamed this life from my blog.  So, I thought I'd set the record straight.  Sometimes, like this past weekend, I can be found in my apartment gazing outside with longing as I spend the ENTIRE day struggled to read, comprehend and apply the course literature.  I'm currently taking an Epidemiology course that is proving to be quite similar to my SFI class.  It's a new language for me.  I feel like everyone else is somehow "getting" it and I'm still struggling to find any commonalities I can cling to and use as a base for understanding.  Why did an English Lit major ever think switching to a science/math field would be a logical thing to do?

Since I am spending so much of my time sitting and staring at computer screens, I also am becoming concerned with my posture and overall health.  All those ergonomics talks back in San Francisco are haunting me.  So I've set up a standing station for myself.  When I just have reading to do, I stand in my kitchen and read.  When I have questions and essays to do, I use my desk but set time limits for myself and get up at regular intervals, do some stretches, walk around my apartment, then try to sit and remain straight backed as I continue my work.

This class has started out a little less frenzied than my last class but it is still demanding in the quantity of work.  I foresee many days and weekends locked in this apartment studying.  But don't worry Mom, I'll get those adventures, fika and social events in too.

My standing station.
It was a rainy weekend.

No comments: