Friday, November 8, 2013

Julkäppar and changing seasons


We don't have Halloween or Thanksgiving here.  What I am used to having as natural markers to designate the changing seasons and holidays does not happen "naturally" in Sweden.  Just before Halloween I looked up and Christmas lights were strung across the street.  Now it seems every window display is done in red and white and the stores are full of Julkäppar (peppermint sticks/candy canes), wreaths, candles and Santa hats. The city picked their St. Lucia for St. Lucia Day (December 13) a few weeks ago.  But none of it seems right to me.  We still have brilliant blue sky's, the temperatures remain in the 50's and we still have 9 - 9.5 hours of daylight.  I didn't see children dressed up in character roaming the streets for Halloween, no one is making plans for who will bring the pumpkin pie on November 28th and no stores are advertising "Black Friday" sales or hours.  We've just gone straight to Christmas.  Since October.



This isn't my first experience with Christmas in another country and just like those other times, I have to get my head wrapped around the differences.  I love Christmas and am so excited to experience St. Lucia Day, the Christmas Markets and go to Glögg (a mulled wine) parties and eat pepparkakor (ginger snaps).  It just seems too early.

Maybe I need to just embrace Christmas and not have any perimeters on when the season has to start.  I can chalk it up to another culture, other rules.  So far I'm liking it not snowing and it not being too cold. The store displays are beautiful, flickering candles in apartment windows are warm and inviting, and the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves is always welcome.  I guess I'll give it a try.  God Jul! (Merry Christmas)

No comments: