Sunday, October 27, 2013

Snails, studying and setting back the clocks


Along with the importance of fika, is the importance of knowing your neighbors.  I live in a big apartment building in a fairly lively neighborhood (for Southern Sweden that is). One of my neighbors, who is also a classmate, decided to host a potluck.  She put invitations on every door in our building.  We brought little foods to share and talked the night away.  I even got to try something I'd never had before. Snails! They weren't so bad.  Kind of like firmer muscles.

Learning to dig the snail out of its shelf
Eating snails!
I finished my latest course last week.  Now it's reading week in preparation for the cumulative exam.  A giant storm is supposed to be hitting the UK soon and the leftover rains and wind will come here for the next several days.  It's perfect timing if you ask me.  I will have no beautiful days to distract me.  I must stay in and study.  Today, I went to the library and buried myself in Grounded Theory and Phenomenology.  (I also got a walk in the park in.)

Beautiful Fall in the park
I studied in the top upper right study area


In other news, we set the clocks back today.  I'm not sure why Europe does it a week ahead of the States but this morning I woke up to light!  I was so happy.  But then, I went into the grocery story at 4 pm and when I came out at 4:45 it was dark out.  I had to turn my lights on my bike to go home.  The darkness is going to be rough.

And, it's time to get back to studying.  I have a study group coming over tonight.  I made banana bread and we'll drink tea.  But it won't be fika because we'll be studying.

2 comments:

Ashley Andersen said...

That library is awesome! Did the university give you iPads? Do they work really well for studying and reading? I assume so. Bart says some students have all their books on them so naturally it's something he'd like (and would save him from lugging around 5 text books to and from school).

Unknown said...

The library looks futuristic. What a cool place you're living. Not sure about snails though...