Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fika

Fika is both a noun and a verb in Sweden.  It's the act of having coffee (or tea) and, usually, cake.  Fika is paramount to Swedish culture and one I fully support.  Swedes take time out of their day, everyday, to have fika.  But you can't have fika alone, then it won't be fika.  You must break with others to enjoy your coffee and cake and talk.  We may have a 3 hour lecture but there will always be at least a 15 minute fika break built in. You are not supposed to talk about your job or your school work during fika.  This time is to get to know each other more.  It's how Swedes build friendships.

I like this part of the culture.  I think it is important to take a break from the grind of our days and spend time with others.  Relationships and time spent with others is the real meaning of life, right?  Some of my most meaningful conversations since being in Sweden have been over fika.   

Solde Kaffeebar, my newest favorite coffee shop -
reminds me of one I'd find in my old neighborhood in The Mission
Part of the fun of fika is also finding the perfect fika place.  Malmö is not short on coffee shops so its just a matter of finding the one that meets the occasion or personality of those going for fika.  Also, as most (maybe all) of my friends and myself are on a student budget, sometimes the best fika place is my own or my friends' apartments.





 So, take a little Swedish with you and go have some fika and live a great life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just telling Bart about Fika and how wonderful it sounds. Thanks for the post!

Unknown said...

I don't like coffee but Fika the concept sounds wonderful. I'd be the tea Fika kinda girl.