Monday, August 18, 2014

Building memories


The market is a place I feel I understand the most anywhere in the world. It's where intentionality, interaction, and thoughtfulness converge. I often get overwhelmed at the market but I also feel so alive in the best ways when I'm wandering through the stalls looking for the best deal on leeks, finding the stand who is having trouble selling that day and interacting with the ones who are quick to give me a sample. So it was with great happiness I found the big market in Melbourne was a quick walk from my work. It became a frequent visit for me during my lunch break to grab a few ingredients for my dinner or just simply to peruse and soak up all the life. I'm partial to the smaller neighborhood markets but due to it being winter, and my proximity to this one, I grew to love the Queen Victoria Market.

Another great aspect of the Queen Vic (as we locals call it) is that on Wednesday's during July and August they have the night market. Food stalls replace the fruit and vegetable stands, lanterns are strung to keep the winter darkness at bay and stages with various music can be found on either ends of the covered building. I visited the night market with friends several times and never left disappointed. These were great times for me to share a meal and listen to music with new friends. In spite of the cold and dark winter, the night market was always packed with people. And that's what I love about markets, no matter the time, they are full of life, food and people building relationships.






pictures from google images
Most of my time in Melbourne can't be shown in pictures. The memories I will cherish the most from my time are the moments it seemed inappropriate to take a picture. It was the moments I was completely content to be just where I was. The time I sat around the breakfast table with my supervisor, her husband and her twin teenage kids talking about Australian immigration. The time I cuddled up under a thick quilt with new friends watching Despicable Me 2 and ate ice-cream. When I gave directions to strangers who stopped me on the street and was so proud I knew where to send them. Having friends over to my place to have a writing party where we worked on our dreaded essay's for class. The times I stood in line for brunch with friends and let the sun warm my face and a cup of coffee my hands. All those times walking down now familiar streets to catch the bus to work. These moments are what made my time in Melbourne so special. It's the people, the routines, the conversations I had that can't fit into a photograph. And I'm kind of glad they can't fit in a photograph because they are mine to hold close and be a part of me now. They are what continue to shape me. I am thankful for this time to build memories in Melbourne.

No comments: